Hours of Operation
Tue 10:00am - 3:00pm
Thu 2:00pm - 7:00pm
Fri 10:00am - 3:00pm
Sun 2:00pm - 7:00pm
Constipation is defined as having a bowel movement fewer than two to
three times per week. With constipation stools are usually hard, dry,
small in size, and difficult to eliminate. Some people who are
constipated find it painful to have a bowel movement and often
experience straining, bloating, and the sensation of a full bowel.
Usually, constipation could be caused by
- Life style --not eating a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, lack of exercise
- Emotion changes: depression & anxiety,
- the use of certain types of medications and dietary supplements, such as: antacids, Iron supplements,
- Narcotics, tranquillizers, sedatives, Ibuprofen, Naproxin Sodium,Laxative abuse
- changes of the structure of the colon or rectum
From Chinese Medicine prospective, there are four reason to cause constipation:
- Heat induced constipation: accumulation of internal heat injure the body fluid and this in turn lead to constipation.
- Qi stagnation: energy get stuck and transit slow.
- Qi, Yin or body fluid deficiency: especially for elderly people
or new moms who lost a lot of blood, they have constipation due to less
body fluid. This condition just like in real world: if there is not
enough water in the river, the boat can not move any more.
- Yang Qi deficiency: Yang Qi in our body has function to warm up
the body. If Yang Qi is insufficient, cold will gel in the interior,
causing the impediment of intestinal movement.
The practitioner will check patients' pulse, tongue, ask questions
and make diagnosis with different pattern. And then use
acupuncture needles and herbal medicine to correct the imbalance.
Chronic constipation symptoms should be treated. If we keep
ignoring it , the harmful bacteria and toxins present in the feces will
be reabsorbed into the bloodstream and will lead to long term harm to
Key points from recent publications:
- Ninety patients who had chronic functional constipation (CFC)
were treated with acupuncture. Three cases were cured, 6 cases
were remarkably effective, 23 cases were effective and 20 cases were
ineffective after 1 month of treatment. The total effective rate was
- The study want to find the efficacy of a Chinese herbal
medicine (Hemp Seed Pill) for functional constipation and the result
shows that this herbal medicine is safe and effective for this problem.